This Mini Chocolate Cream Pie is rich chocolate pudding set in a graham cracker crust. It'll satisfy your chocolate cravings, & is perfectly sized for two!
Classic Chocolate Cream Pie
[pausing to wipe drool from the keyboard]
But first a little adaptation was in order. I wanted a recipe for mini Chocolate Cream Pie because there's only two of us and I didn't want an entire pie enticing me.
Adapt the recipe to fit your needs
The other change was that I just didn't feel like making standard pastry pie crust. Yes, I could have made my No Recipe Pie Crust using a 6-4-2 recipe ratio for a half a single pie crust, but frankly, I didn't want to bother.
Besides, pudding pies are great with graham cracker crusts also. Snap decision...I'll halve my graham cracker crust recipe and use that for my mini pie. Problem solved!
How to make Chocolate Cream Pie
The filling for a this pie is really a version of chocolate custard in that you're cooking a cream mixture with egg yolks and thickening it with cornstarch.
It's also like a ganache in that you're pouring this hot custard mixture over the chopped chocolate, then stirring until it's smooth.
A hybrid custard-ganache pie filling, as it were.
The rest of the procedure is as easy as filling the pie shell and chilling the whole thing until it's set. That's the hardest part...the waiting!
How you choose to serve Chocolate Cream Pie is totally up to you. You can serve it plain, but I prefer some lightly sweetened whipped cream and a few chocolate shavings for garnish.
This pie is luscious, rich, creamy, and chocolatey, and the graham cracker crust adds a nice texture counterpoint to all that creamy goodness.
I'm glad that I made a mini pie...it was enough to last my husband and I a couple of days at least. If I had a crowd to serve, than yes, I'd make a full-sized recipe for Chocolate Cream Pie. Just save me a slice!
Slainté! L’chaim! Cheers!
More recipes using dark chocolate
Remember, even though these recipes use dark chocolate, you can generally substitute the chocolate type of your choice!
- Mini Skillet Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
- Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge
- Dark Chocolate Whisky Fudge
- Easy Dark Chocolate Truffles
- Double Dark Chocolate Pudding
- Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Dark Chocolate Bourbon Brownies
- Easy Kahlua Chocolate Fudge
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse
- White Chocolate Marshmallow Pecan Fudge (ok, this is white chocolate, but you can use whatever chocolate you'd like!)
Mini Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 Graham Cracker Crust, half recipe
- 1 Tbsp butter, unsalted (1 oz, 28g)
- ⅔ cups chocolate, chopped, see Recipe Notes (4 oz, 113g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar, (2 oz, 66g)
- 1½ Tbsp cornstarch, (1/3 oz, 10g)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, see Recipe Notes
- ½ tsp espresso powder, optional, see Recipe Notes
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ cup heavy cream, divided (4 oz, 113g)
- 1 cup milk, (8 oz, 227g)
- whipped cream, lightly sweetened, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the filling: Place the butter, chopped chocolate, and vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt. Add 1/4 cup (2 oz, 56g) of the heavy cream, whisking until the mixture is smooth and lump-free. Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the remaining cream and milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly as the mixture thickens. Boil for 1 minute. The temperature of the mixture will be around 200°F after 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately pour the mixture over the reserved chocolate and butter. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pass the filling through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl to remove any lumps or scrambled eggs.
- Place plastic wrap or buttered parchment paper on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming, and chill thoroughly for at least two hours.
- Assemble the pie: Spoon the chilled filling into the cooled graham cracker crust. Level the top with a small offset spatula.
- Chill the pie until you're ready to serve. For best slicing, refrigerate the pie overnight before serving.
- Garnish the pie, either whole or just slices, with whipped cream and chocolate shavings or a dusting of cocoa powder. Serve and enjoy!https://amzn.to/31yE5nc