What do you like to eat with scones? How about homemade Lemon Curd? It's super easy to make and so much better than store bought!
Lemon Curd...silky lemony goodness
Lemon curd is silky smooth, tart and sweet at the same time, and goes so well with scones. It can also be fairly pricey in the market, especially if it’s made with real, wholesome ingredients.
Some recipes call for using whole eggs, but I found a recipe from Not Quite Nigella that just used the yolks...it turned out the beautifully lemon yellow color found in commercially produced curd.
I happened to have egg yolks leftover, so that’s the method I chose. And boy, am I glad I did...it was wonderful!
How to make Lemon Curd
Lemon curd is very easy to make, and it only takes a few simple ingredients, egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and butter.
The process is simple...whisk the yolks with sugar, melt in butter, add lemon juice & zest, then cook until thickened. The whole thing takes less than 30 minutes.
Once the curd has cooled to room temperature, chill it. It'll thicken as it cools.
Uses for Lemon Curd
After it’s been cooled, lemon curd is quite adaptable. Served next to scones or toast, it’s a wonderful spread on its own.
You can use it to fill tart shells or mix it with unsweetened whipped cream for a quick lemon mousse.
Other citrus Curd flavors
You can use this same homemade lemon curd method using different citrus…limes (regular or key lime), Meyer lemons, oranges, grapefruits, etc. Each will give you another flavor to play with.
Remember, if life hands you lemons...make Lemon Curd!
Slainté! L’chaim! Cheers!
Recipes using lemons
Want lemony goodness in your life? Try some of these lemon recipes!
Recipes with lemons...
- Lemon Curd
- Lemon Curd Marbled Cheesecake
- Mint Lemon Lime Bars
- Mini Limoncello Cake
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Treacle Tarts for Two
- Two-Bite Lemon Tartlets
- Easy Homemade Hollandaise Sauce
- Whole Lemon Sherbet
Drinks featuring lemons...
Homemade Lemon Curd
- 5 large egg yolks, see Recipe Notes
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, plus extra to taste (5-1/4 oz, 150g)
- ½ cup butter, cut into cubes (4 oz, 113g)
- ¾ cup lemon juice, from 3-4 lemons, see Recipe Notes (6 oz, 170g)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Set on low to medium heat. Add the butter and heat slowly until the butter melts.
- Once the butter has melted, add the lemon zest to the egg yolk mixture, then the lemon juice. Stir occasionally using a whisk or a spoon as it thickens, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat, put the lid on it and let it thicken further from there. When cooled to room temperature, pour into a jar.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!