Tasting a wide range of scotch, bourbon, whiskey, and rye whiskey at a Whisky Wednesday drawer cleanup. The hardest task is picking which expressions to try!
My confession…I hate housecleaning.
There is one kind of housecleaning that I do enjoy, and that’s when Ken Gordon of Gordon's DTX decides to “clean out the drawer” for Whisky Wednesday. That’s when he takes out bottles that have been opened and are less than half full, and we help finish them off. It’s a sacrifice, I know.
A diverse lineup of tasting notes
This is my version of whisky housecleaning, and the biggest decision is what to choose! This time I sampled expressions that I hadn't tried before (well, I maybe had a couple of favorites at the end).
I went from scotch to whiskey to rye, as diverse a range as you can get. Well, see for yourself!
Winter Whisky Housecleaning
At Gordon’s DTX, January 2, 2019
Chivas Regal Mizunara Finish
- Nose: light aroma, dust, cedar
- Taste: brown sugar, vanilla, wood shavings
- Finish: cinnamon and cloves, cedar
- Comments: very woody, some sweetness
Glen Moray Elgin Heritage (12 yr)
- Nose: flowers, clover honey, dried hay, potpourri
- Taste: flowers and toffee, honey
- Finish: caramel sauce, light baking spices
- Comments: sweet and floral, bright, delightful
Monkey Shoulder Batch 27yr
- Nose: nutmeg, brown sugar, light smoke
- Taste: thick body, oily, caramel and cinnamon, wood smoke
- Finish: cinnamon lasts with wood smoke underneath
- Comments: interesting, the thickness and body help the wood flavors develop
Gordon Graham’s Black Bottle Blend
- Nose: light caramel, hay, heather
- Taste: light body, bright hay, caramel, thyme
- Finish: light nutmeg to thyme and heather
- Comments: so many different flavors and aromas to tease out, interesting because you have to really pay attention
Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Nose: caramel, vanilla, corn sweetness, grass, dried pears, cereal
- Taste: medium body, vanilla fudge, light baking spices, bread grains
- Finish: ends with vanilla, toffee, hint of pears
- Comments: isn't cloyingly sweet.. mellowed with caramel
- Nose: caraway, corn, salted caramel
- Taste: mediumbody, cloves, rye spice, caramel, slight smoke
- Finish: rye lingers, then cinnamon
- Comments: has a dark flavor
Putnam New England Rye Whiskey
- Nose: corn, brown sugar candy, light rye
- Taste: dark rum, brown sugar bars, light anise, cardamom
- Finish: cloves, cardamom, brown sugar
- Comments: not a strong rye, actually quite nice
I rarely post these random whisky tasting notes, but I think the next time Ken decides to empty his drawer, I’ll do it again.
It’s a great way to try a truly diverse lineup, and a few favorites!
Slainté! L’chaim! Cheers!
I hope you like this review! If you tried the expressions or have a question, I'd love for you to leave a comment below. Thanks!