This thick, tangy, creamy Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing is the best you will ever have. Why buy bottled when you can make it in 5 minutes?
Better than store bought
Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing is something that doesn't last long in our house.
We tend to have it on our salads when we're having "American" meals (you know, meat-and-potatoes). I also love it to dip veggies in.
And while you can pick it up in bottles at the market, it's generally full of additives and preservatives.
No, thanks. Not when I can grab a block of blue cheese and make it myself in about five minutes!
Blue cheese or bleu cheese?
How you spell this type of cheese doesn't seem to matter.
Both blue cheese and bleu cheese are used interchangeably, referring to a cheese made with Penicillium mold cultures, streaking the cheese with spots & veins throughout the cheese.
My girls used to call it "moldy cheese," but I call it delicious!
One item I usually don't have on hand is fresh buttermilk. Instead, I keep Bob's Red Mill Sweet Cream Buttermilk Powder on hand. It reconstitutes well and is pantry safe. Just replace the buttermilk in a recipe with an equal amount of water (1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup water plus 2 tablespoon buttermilk powder).
It's that simple.
Don't blink or you'll miss it
This Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing recipe comes together lightning fast, all in one bowl.
Start by mixing the sour cream, mayonnaise, water, and buttermilk powder. Whisk in the seasonings, then crumble in the blue cheese.
I think it takes me longer to type the recipe than to make it!
This blue cheese salad dressing is thick, tangy, creamy, and full of chunky blue cheese pieces. It's great as a salad dressing and as a dip for fresh or blanched vegetables.
Like with my Caesar Salad Dressing, Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing will spoil you for anything from a bottle.
You've been warned!
Slainté! L’chaim! Cheers!
Did you know that salad dressing is a form of an emulsion sauce? There are temporary and stable emulsions, and they can add a layer of flavor to your dishes. Give these a try!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below ⬇️ and/or a comment further down the page.
I'd love to hear from you! Stay in touch on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and please tag me using the hashtag #scotchandsconesblog. You can also sign up for my mailing list. I can't wait to see your creations!
The Best Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons sweet cream buttermilk powder, see Recipe Notes
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup blue cheese, see Recipe Notes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, water, and buttermilk powder until smooth.
- Press the garlic into the bowl using a garlic press. Add the lemon juice, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper and whisk well to combine to combine. Slice or crumble the blue cheese into the bowl and stir until mixed.
- If the dressing becomes too thick, just add some water. It will thicken up as it ages, so you may want to stir in a couple of teaspoons of water before serving.
- Blue Cheese Dressing will last in the fridge for several days.