Quick & easy homemade chocolate syrup with only 5 ingredients, making a tasty preservative-free topping. Great for ice cream & milkshakes!
You can make chocolate syrup yourself!
Chocolate Syrup from a can is full of ingredients I can't spell or even pronounce, not to mention that slightly tinny taste.
Homemade Chocolate Syrup solves that problem with a recipe that contains only five ingredients from the pantry. Plus, it comes together in a snap!
No need to go to the store
Yes, you're only five ingredients away.
A homemade chocolate syrup recipe really is just chocolate-flavored simple syrup.
If you can boil water and sugar together, you can make this easy chocolate syrup.
Add cocoa powder and vanilla to a heated water-and-sugar mixture. Strain it through a fine mesh strainer to insure your syrup is extra smooth, then let it cool.
What could be simpler?
Just so we're clear, this recipe for chocolate sauce produces a syrup that has the consistency of runny honey, rather than thick like a hot fudge sauce. If that's what you're looking for, I have my Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge for you.
I found this DIY chocolate syrup recipe from Five Heart Home and have made it many times. Say goodbye to Hershey's syrup, and leave the car keys alone!
How to use chocolate syrup
You probably don't need me to tell you, but I will anyway.
- As an ice cream topping (or swirled into homemade ice cream)
- In cake or brownie recipes
- In a killer chocolate milkshake
I promise you'll be making this chocolate sauce recipe again and again!
Slainté! L’chaim! Cheers!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below ⬇️ and/or a comment further down the page.
I'd love to hear from you! Stay in touch on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and please tag me using the hashtag #scotchandsconesblog. You can also sign up for my mailing list. I can't wait to see your creations!
Easy Homemade Chocolate Syrup (Dairy-Free)
- ⅔ cup water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small pot set over medium-high heat, mix water and sugar until it's dissolved. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in cocoa powder and salt, and continue stirring and simmering for about two more minutes or until cocoa powder is all dissolved and mixture is smooth and slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and let cool to room temperature. The syrup will thicken upon standing.
- Store the chocolate syrup in a jar in the refrigerator.