Rich and moist, this dairy-free eggless chocolate cake will improve any day that needs a special treat. Use only one bowl and make one today!
Oil & Vinegar Cake. That's what my family calls this chocolate cake.
That's because it's...uhm...a chocolate cake with vinegar and oil. And other good stuff, I assure you!
With no eggs or butter required (and no mixer), this recipe for chocolate cake is so easy to throw together that I make it on a weekday when I want to treat the family.
The original chocolate cake recipe below is from the Los Angeles Times Food Section, dated February 7, 1991. Yes, it's been a family favorite that long.
Common ingredients, rich flavor
This eggless chocolate cake recipe uses basic ingredients that are probably in your pantry right now.
I've upped the ante by using dark chocolate cocoa powder and espresso powder to give this cake an intense chocolate flavor. Feel free to substitute regular cocoa powder and/or omit the espresso powder if you prefer.
Only one bowl required
An egg free chocolate cake isn't fussy either.
One bowl and a 9- x 9-inch baking pan is all it needs, with just a dusting of powdered sugar to finish it off. We usually serve it right from the pan.
A perfect weekday cake.
To make the cake, whisk all the dry ingredients together. Top with the wet ingredients and whisk well.
This simple eggless cake bakes up in about 30 minutes, then it takes about that long to cool.
As I said, we serve the cake right from the pan, just dusted with powdered sugar.
How's that for a no-fuss weekday dessert!
Questions asked and answered
Here are some questions that you might have...
No! The flavor is dominated by the chocolate. Using dark chocolate cocoa powder and espresso powder will intensify this flavor even more.
Sure! You can experiment with flavors for the oil, keeping in mind the effect will be subtle. Different vinegars will have different acidities, so while the flavor may or may not be altered much, the amount the cake rises can be affected.
With no animal based ingredients, this dairy-free eggless chocolate cake can be considered vegan.
Scale the recipe to fit your needs
A great thing about this one-bowl chocolate cake recipe is that it's easily very versatile. Scale it down by half and bake it in a 6-inch round cake pan for a smaller version.
This same chocolate cake recipe (scaled down by four) is how you make a quick Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake. That's right, a single serving cake cooked in the microwave in 2 minutes.
How cool is that!
Whatever form your cake takes, you'll be rewarded with a rich, moist, intensely chocolate cake that will make any day special.
Make today that special day!
Slainté! L’chaim! Cheers!
Remember, even though these recipes use dark chocolate, you can generally substitute the chocolate type of your choice. Go ahead and use your favorites!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating in the recipe card below ⬇️ and/or a comment further down the page.
I'd love to hear from you! Stay in touch on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and please tag me using the hashtag #scotchandsconesblog. You can also sign up for my mailing list. I can't wait to see your creations!
Eggless Chocolate Cake (Dairy-Free)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder, see Recipe Notes
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional, see Recipe Notes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup water, boiling
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9- x 9-inch inch baking pan with baking spray and set aside. If you'll be serving the cake out of the pan, line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the canola oil, vinegar, and vanilla, then pour the boiling water over it all and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the cake into the prepared pan and bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Dust the cake with powdered sugar, serve it from the pan, and enjoy!